Warm comfort food,woolly warm jumpers, steaming mugs of coffee, a cosy corner with a warm blanket and a good book or a long walk in the crisp Autumn air , when you think of Autumn what springs to mind ?
For me its all the above and the smell of warm apple crumble straight out of the oven. That warm apple and cinnamon smell that just makes the whole house seem so cosy. The middle farmer came home from work last week with a bucket of fresh apples so I had to make some crumble. The one thing about being coeliac is the flour, it is just rotten in most things and baking is never as nice but I think I nailed this crumble and it was just as nice or nicer than my old recipe for apple crumble. It lasted all of one night and was eaten by all the farmers with custard, what more could you want on a dark Autumn evening only warm crumble and custard.
So here is my apple crumble, if you want to make it and you can use normal flour then just change your flour for normal and leave out the xanthan gum.
- Tray for baking crumble in, I used a glass one.
- I used about 8 apples but use as much you need to have a nice layer in your tin.
- 210g or so of gluten free/ normal flour.
- 2 teaspoons of Xanthan gum if you are using gluten free flour only.
- 50g roughly of porridge oats.
- 70g sugar can use brown or white whichever you have.
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.
- 170g butter salted or unsalted butter.
- Peel and cut up your apples put them in your tray and cover with some extra sugar and a good sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Put your flour , oats , sugar , cinnamon and xanthan gum if you are using it into a bowl and then hand mix in the butter till it looks a little like bread crumbs and you have no lumps of butter next. ( leave out your butter for a few hours so its soft makes it so much easier to mix).
- Cover your apples with the crumble mix and then cover it with tin foil for the first 25 mins in the oven, bake at gas mark 5/6, this gives the apple a chance to cook and not just your crumble topping.
- After about 25mins take off the tin foil and put it back in the oven till your crumble topping is nice and golden. Take it out and enjoy with some custard.
So that’s it a very easy and we all think tasty Autumn Apple Crumble hope you enjoy it as much as we all did.